Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

Jul 11, 2013

What's For Dinner?

Tonight is another straight from the garden meal for us.  And I have to share because I'm pretty darn proud.  I mean, I'm not really a gardening kind of girl.  And just look at this, all picked just this morning.
 
Which I'm going to make into this. Skinnytaste.com has never steered me wrong with sweet scones, so I'm excited to try her savory recipe.  I'm adjusting a little with the fresh herbs we've grown (basil and thyme), but that's part of the fun of baking, right?
 
And look!  More green beans.  I think this is the last batch.  And it's a pretty good mix of the right size (thanks for the tip, Lori) mixed with those I left on the plants too long.  But I think it will be great cooked in the crock pot all day with some scallions (also from our garden), bacon and prosciutto, chicken broth and a tiny bit of white wine (used to deglaze the pan after frying the bacon and scallions-one of my favorite ways of adding flavor). 

Gardening and making this fresh beautiful food for my family makes me feel happy, makes me feel connected to God.  Like I'm part of his big picture.  Picking all of this from plants that grew up from tiny seeds in some dirt reminds me how smart he is and how he loves and provides for us. 

And we all know that I'm so lame that, while picking this bounty from our backyard this morning (still in my pajamas-don't judge), I was singing "Oh, the Lord is good to me.  And so I thank the Lord, for giving me the things I need: the sun and the rain and the big green beans!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment