Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

Jul 2, 2011

Red White and BOOM!

Yes, we braved the crowds and the heat and two small children for Red White and Boom! in downtown Columbus last night. It was awesome!Since my office is right beside the park, I just lay out our blanket when I get to work on Friday morning and there is stays, truly, until we come back later that day. No one has ever touched it. Before the kids were born, Rich and I used to go down in the late afternoon, drive right to my parking garage (which is also beside the park) through the secret executive bat entrance and then enjoy the day reading books, people watching, eating bad stuff and relaxing. To miss the crowds, we would see a movie at the theater next door to my office after the fireworks. That way we just zipped right home instead of waiting in those terrible traffic jams. It was always so much fun.

So was the plan this year, which is the first time we've tried it with the kids. As usual, I laid the blanket out in the morning as soon as I got to work, and we didn't come back downtown until 7:30 that night. We brought some new toys for the kids to play with and they were happy as clams. Sam even made a new friend who, with his parents, joined us on our blanket and played brush blocks with Sam forever.

Mark and Ashley joined us and we were all so excited when the fireworks started at 10:00. They were incredible! Then again, I love fireworks. I love the 4th of July. It's the only holiday that still makes me feel like a kid.
After the tremendous finale, we headed up to the office to wash up, change the kids into their jammies, do some people watching from the balcony, then went to the theater to watch the new X-Men. Both kids conked out about 30 minutes into the movie and stayed asleep. Other than them waking a bit early this morning, it couldn't have gone more smoothly. What a special, fun night! Great memories were made!

No comments:

Post a Comment