Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

Jul 21, 2014

Mom vs. The Laundry: An Imaginary Appliance Revolt

This has been a familiar scene at my house over the past week or so. 

That's me...surrounded by piles of housework...paying no attention to it. 

Only I haven't been sucked into a soap opera on TV.  I've been absorbed in a book.  The Giver series has given my mind a much appreciated respite from household chores (though not from my kids...I always choose them over a book...well, 85% of the time anyway).  I've been lost in the pages of The Giver series' beautiful and tragic dystopia and didn't want to pull myself out of it, especially for chores. 

Sigh. 

I love this series.  I love reading.  I love books.  And I hate laundry.

Anyway, since my loving and gifted husband has been busy constructing our built-ins in the living room (progress photos are coming) and the kids have been busy, well, being kids; a few things have gone unattended in the Cole household lately.  Namely the laundry.

Ugh.  The mountain of laundry. 

So I declared yesterday to be Laundry Day. 

Our washer and dryer laundered a lot of dirty clothes in one day.  Nine loads to be exact. 

That's A LOT of laundry.

I fear their retribution as they finish the last two loads for me tonight... 

They'll look normal as I approach.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Just two metal machines sitting in our basement.  But their presence will take on a quiet menace as I approach.  Then, BAM, the washer will attack, its hoses lashing and spitting and flailing, challenging me, daring me to shove one more dirty shirt or stinky sock into it. 

But I will fight it.  And I will prevail! 

Because I am Mom.  And even though I may go on chore hiatus for a week, my appliances don't.  I mean just think if I gave into the washer's protests.  How long before the news would travel to the other appliances?  How long before they would all rise up against me?  It would be anarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment