Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

May 9, 2011

Mamma's Little Baby Likes Shortnin' Bread...

I was looking for an easy, quick lemon cookie to make last night (I was craving my lemon cranberry scones, but didn't want to invest the time it takes to make them), when I stumbled upon a recipe for lemon shortnin' bread, or shortbread.

...Mamma's little baby likes shortnin', shortnin', mamma's little baby likes shortnin' bread...

I've never made shortbread before but, HELLO, is it ever easy! And yummy. No wonder mamma's little baby likes it so much.

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp lemon zest

Cream the butter and sugar, add the lemon zest and flour (a little at a time). Dump the crumbly dough onto the counter and work until smooth. Roll it out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with a knife into squares (or whatever shapes you want). Bake on Pammed cookie sheet at 325 for 15 minutes. Done.

No refrigerating the dough. No special equipment needed - just your old hand-held mixer. No special ingredients. Couldn't be easier. I halved the recipe just in case they didn't turn out (I didn't want to waste 2 sticks of butter), and even that was easy to do. Wish I would have made the whole batch, though, because Rich and I ate half of them last night.

They are not a healthy treat, but they are these wonderful little biscuit cookies with just the right amount of sweetness. Perfect with coffee. I even added a little powdered sugar/lemon juice glaze when they came out of the oven to give them more zing.

LOVE THEM and just had to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment