Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

Sep 16, 2010

Tell Me...Why...



Inspired and hysterical from my sister's latest post of whys (see Lori's Side of the Story in my list of blogs), I thought I would add to it with some of the why questions and answers that have been flying through our house lately. Even though the questions vary drastically, the answers always end up the same.




Me: "Sam, you can't just hold the food in your mouth for the rest of your life. Chew it and swallow it, son."
Sam (with a mouthful of chicken): "Why?"
Me: "Because your body needs food to grow."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because that's how God designed our insides."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because he knew what would work."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because he made us."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because God was lonely."
Sam: "Oh. Otay."

Or this one from this morning.

Me: "Stop yelling, Sam. We're right here beside you. We can hear you just fine."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because we have ears that work."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because we're blessed."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because God loves us."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because he made us."
Sam: "Why?"
Me: "Because God was lonely."
Sam: "Oh. Otay."

You can substitute any question in there and, somehow, just like Pastor Will's blue bag sermons, the answer always ends up the same.

Question: "Why do I need to wash my hands?"
Question: "Why is that a rock?"
Question: "Why can't I push Lena down?"
Question: "Why can't I pull on my penis like it's silly putty?"
Final answer (after many answers Sam isn't fulfilled by): "Because God was lonely."

He'll probably end up in therapy because of it, but it works for now, so I'm sticking with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment