Instagram Feed

Instagram Feed

May 7, 2014

Blue Doors, Stolen Chairs, and Gooey Kids...

Blue doors, stolen chairs and gooey kids...just another week at our house. 

We're trying to finish up our front porch.  After many, so very many paint swatches, texting consultations with Jen (my color expert), in-person consultations with Lori (who wisely geared me toward the lighter hues), and going back and forth between several shades of turquoise; Rich and I settled on this beautiful, warmer shade of light turquoise.  And we love it. (I promise to post a better photo very soon.)

We used the same color to paint the loveseat Rich made. (Again, updated/better photos to come.)

I believe (though I'm not certain yet) that I'm going to use the same color to paint this rocking chair, which I will be adding to the front porch...and which I pulled from someone's garbage this week.  Before you say anything, yes, I am aware that this is the second rocking chair I have saved from the junkyard.  And yes, Rich has a little more repair work to do on this one than the last. And yes, my son told his neighborhood friends,
"It's so crazy.  I don't know why my mom keeps stealing chairs..."
(I tried explaining that it isn't stealing if someone's throwing the thing away, but he still eyed me with suspicion.) 

Regardless of all that, I'm still elated with my find and you can bet your bottom dollar that if I see another cute rocking chair on somebody's curb on trash day, I'll be stuffing it my hatchback faster than you can say dumpster diver. 

Our sad little planters on the front porch got a facelift this weekend when I painted them to match our outside trim.  The white here is just primer, but I was so astounded how much better they looked just with primer that I had to take a photo. 
 
Our trim is this beautiful butter cream color, so I painted the planters to match and plan to put boxwoods in them, inspired by this photo.

In addition to reshaping, edging, mowing and mulching our flower beds and yard, and stripping and priming some bubbling trim on our house; my work horse of a husband also cut down our very, very dead out front.  Well, he didn't so much cut as he pushed it down (it was so light and dry and dead that it just kind of fell on its own).  He transplanted in its place a little Japanese maple that was overcrowded in the backyard and we're hoping the transplant takes.  According to our neighbors, this was the second tree to die in that same spot, so...yikes!

In honor of the very, very dead tree, we used some of its branches for an impromptu s'mores party for some neighbor kids.  They were all gooey and full and smiley by the time the pile of branches was gone, which I took to mean "Thanks.  We'll be back."  And I hope they are...I like having them all around.   


 
Wait for it...wait.......I crafted yesterday.  BAM! 
In honor of teacher appreciation week, and because I don't have money to buy gift cards worth anything for the very deserving teachers my kids have had this year, I was kind of forced to craft.  But I did it and think the crafted presents turned out terribly cute.  I wrote the notes on Lena's teachers' scissors and she signed her name.  Sam wrote the whole thing for his teacher.  They are both very excited to give them to their teachers tomorrow...and so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment